Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Day Without the FDA

The recent government shutdown makes me consider the ramifications on the FDA.  As the mother of Hunter, a terminally ill two-year-old with Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type I (SMA), I can't help but wonder.  What will this mean to my baby?  What will this mean the others with SMA?  What will this mean to the tens of millions with orphan diseases?  We have had a day without the FDA (technically a few days with a limited FDA).

When Hunter was diagnosed with SMA in 2011, we were told there was no cure.  We were told there were no treatments.  A more accurate statement would have been that there were no FDA approved treatments or cure.

I want to pose the question:  What if there were no FDA?

 The FDA was created for the protection of consumers.  I believe the FDA was created to provide a give and take relationship in this protection.  Today, the gives significantly outweigh the takes.  Drug costs are at an all time high, and those in need are left to wait.

I believe the FDA's protection has gone too far to the consumers' detriment.  Over regulation makes many orphan disease trials cost prohibitive.  Moreover, the lengthy application and trials prevent medications from reaching patients for years.  This directly affects the more than 25 million Americans with rare diseases.  More than half of these are children.

Many orphan disease treatments are in the pipeline.  However, the timeframe for new drug approvals is over a decade, and costs over a billion dollars.  This is a hard pill to swallow for those with terminal illnesses and their loved ones.  I know this.  I live this.

Without the FDA, researchers, pharmaceutical companies, and doctors would be permitted to provide life saving medications to terminally ill patients in need, as the need arises.  Perhaps there is an argument for a resulting abuse, and harm to consumers.

I believe the ethical committees researchers go before, the research and medical institutions where they work, and the leading doctors in their research fields are the proper regulatory bodies.  I do not believe a rush of freelance researchers providing medications to the detriment of consumers would result in the FDA's absence.

I would not think twice about opting out of the FDA's "protection" to obtain potentially life saving medications for Hunter here in the United States.

Consider this: Physician assisted suicide is legal in Oregon, Washington, and Vermont.  In regard to non FDA approved medication, it is illegal for physicians to prescribe or provide the terminally ill with potentially life saving medication in every state. 

For now, we do have the FDA's overregulation.  The terminally ill must travel to other countries to obtain non FDA approved life saving medication.  This requires the ability to travel, and the funds necessary to pay for the travel and medication.  Sadly, the majority of the terminally ill lack one or both of these requirements.  They are essentially denied a right to life, because the medication is not FDA approved.  On the other hand, they are afforded the right to die in Oregon, Washington, and Vermont, so long as the medication to assist in death is FDA approved.

3 comments:

  1. I have long been a proponent of allowing an informed consent or opt-out provision, that allows people to waive their right to "protection" in favor of being given a chance to pursue non-FDA-approved treatments, and to allow medical practitioners to participate without fear of liability or retribution. The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers Association (Big Pharma) has spent nearly $3 billion dollars over the last 15 years on lobbying (40 percent more than the second closest lobbying group - insurance) to keep a stranglehold on legislators in Washington - and they HEAVILY contribute to the FDA budget every year. All of this is done to protect their economic interests - not consumer safety. Just think about how many drugs have we seen in the last 15 years that were first approved by the FDA and then later pulled from the market (after most of the economic opportunity was gained) because they were not safe. As cynical as it sounds, its all about the economic model of medicine, not what's good for people. The clinical trials sanctioned by the FDA only make the situation worse. Those who most desperately need the options that a new drug offers are generally excluded from the research studies because they are "too sick" and will make the results "look less promising." The original intent of the FDA may have been a good one, but its current reality is devastating for everyone except Big Pharma. Eliminating or greatly scaling back the FDA as was done with NASA seems an idea whose time has come. But at a bare minimum, I agree with you that an opt-out should be available to those who wish to pursue hope on their own terms and are willing to accept the consequences of their informed choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Khrystal, I was so touched by your story. I had (well, currently in remission from) Lyme disease and I know personally the frustration of being denied diagnosis and treatment by the established medical community. I can only imagine and empathize about how difficult this has been for you and your family.

    I wish this blog would bring you comfort and hope, as well as raising awareness and finding answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and I never thought I would ever get a cure. This made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship. He broke up with me when he found out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on a Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got cured and let her contact details, so I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give it a try too and use his herbal medicine. That was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can Cure all Neuromuscular Diseases,Hiv/Aids,Hsv,Cancers all types with his natural herbal medicines. (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or visit his website on www.drituaherbalcenter.com)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and suggestions.